Lets start with the biblical aspect of forgiving others;
Ephesians 4:32 "Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you."
Mark 11:25
"
And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.”
Matthew 18:21-22
"Then Peter came up and said to him, “Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?” Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven."
Just to name a few; its clear that Christ is a fan of forgiveness. If you really read these verses especially Matthew 18:21-22; even if we are wronged over and over again, its our responsibility to find forgiveness in our hearts and let it go.
Now lets look at it from a Psychologist point of view; Alex Lickerman M.D posted an article explaining the human emotions on why we find it difficult to forgive. One point that stood out was "we want a sense of justice". Now I can relate to this one personally; I have felt in the past that I want you to know that you hurt me for one, then I want you to understand the emotional damage I had to endure from this hurt. This seemed rationale to me; but when I looked at all the drama of dragging out what happened and reliving it in my mind over and over again and having those conversations with myself of what I would say to the other person if they ever owned up to the wrong.....well heck I am drained just from giving the example.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/happiness-in-world/201002/how-forgive-others
I Corinthians 13:13 "But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these three is love."
This verse says it best; compassion is being more like Christ; its remembering that the person whom hurt you is human. We all have been on the side of bringing to hurt at some time or another; but for some reason when we are on the receiving side, we find it very hard to turn that finger back to the man in the mirror.
Today I pray that we can be more like Christ; more forgiving and loving and kind to one another. Putting the teachings of Christ into motion. Practice today by letting that person know that its ok; I forgive you. Know that you will feel better and they will be more mindful in the future. Remember our words can be sharp or with love. Choose your words carefully and walk in love today. Leaving you with prayers of love and compassion in Jesus name; amen.
Yours in Love,
Cheri Amour
No comments:
Post a Comment